Monday, October 19, 2009

Rules of the House & Other Expectations

I stress 2 main patterns of behaviour: Respect for other people and Respect for property. Our 3 simple rules, posted in each of the area's used by the children, encompass my philosophy.

(1) YOU MAY NOT HURT YOURSELF

*No leaving the house or yard without permission
*No children under the age of 5 are to go outside without an adult, that includes pick-up time
*No behaviour that risks harming your own body or feelings

(2) YOU MAY NOT HURT OTHERS

*No hitting, kicking, biting, pushing etc.
*No picking up babies or toddlers, it is the law
*No name calling, teasing, yelling. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect.

(3) YOU MAY NOT HURT THINGS (furniture, toys etc.)

*No throwing or intentionally breaking anything.
*No shoes in the house, No shoes on the furniture


OTHER EXPECTATIONS....
*  Please avoid bringing any food from home unless you have brought enough for everyone.

*  Please avoid bringing precious toys from home. Home toys cause strife when they become damaged or lost. Please mark home toys clearly with your child's name. Home toys that enter my home, do so at YOUR own risk. I am not responsible for lost or damaged items.

*  Please reinforce my rules at drop-off and pick-up time. Please show your child that you respect me and the house rules by reminding them (and allowing me to remind them when needed) that the rules still apply whether or not someone else is here.

*  Please arrange a private time to speak with me when you would like to discuss issues relating to your or another child at length. Little ears are keen ears and I prefer to chat out of their earshot.

*  Please do not expect my house or your child to be spotless when you come to pick them up during programming hours. Sometimes we can get pretty messy when we are playing, eating or doing crafts. My primary focus is on the play experience. Their clothing should be appropriate for play.

*  Please be supportive. Home childcare can be very isolating, having very little contact with adults. Whether it is supporting my thoughts & decisions or just sharing supplies such as unneeded paper, a box of crackers or volunteering to join us for a trip...every little bit helps.

*  Please treat me as a professional, this is my career choice. I am an Early Childhood Educator, not a babysitter.

*  Please respect my family and my home. We are a normal family just like yours. We need our own separate lives away from childcare. Also, please realize that I need time alone with my family, so please support me when I need to request time off.

*  Please be on time or arrange for someone else to be here in time to pick up your child. Often we have places to go in the early evening (such as dinner, our families homes, hockey or dance lessons) so my day needs to end precisely at 5:00 to ensure quality time with my own family.

*  Sometimes events at home may influence a child and they may need a little extra attention. Please take the time to communicate these needs. Also, please feel free to voice any concerns or even compliments that you may have. Your feedback is ALWAYS welcome!

Thank you for all of your support!

Email Val

No comments:

Post a Comment